Return to Radical
Dear Church family,
We have been invited to participate in a movement wide time of prayer and fasting October 9-11. What comes to mind when you think of prayer and fasting? I’ll be honest, I love to eat, and the idea of giving up food isn’t one that excites me. However, when I think of giving up food in order to press into the presence of God with my community, allowing my flesh to become weak and my spirit to grow strong: now that gets me fired up!
As leaders in the Antioch movement have prayed about this time, the phrase "Return to Radical," has felt like a word from the Lord for what this time should be about. Times of passionate prayer are always a great time to recommit ourselves to Kingdom living and to return to the radical lifestyle that Jesus invites us into. With this, there are three prayer points that we will keep before us in this time based out of Acts 4:31.
"After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly" - Acts 4:31
Pray that we return to radical both personally and corporately in the following areas:
Return to Radical INTERCESSION: Acts 2:17, Acts 2:42, Acts 4:23-31
• Personal Devotion to Jesus
• That God would raise up intercessors in each of our local churches
• That God would raise up intercessors for the unreached
• That God would fuel our intercession with powerful dreams and visions to show us what to pray
Return to Radical FELLOWSHIP: Acts 2:42, Psalm 133, Hebrews 10:25, Galatians 6:1-2
• Relational healing from offenses and hurts
• Transparency and confession where it needs to happen in our churches
• Racial unity amongst our churches and in our nation
• Denominational unity in the body of Christ
• Commitment to gathering together in unity
Return to Radical EVANGELISM: John 5:35, Colossians 4:5, Acts 2:43, Isaiah 35:5, Luke 4:18
• God to raise up evangelists in our churches who are a bold witness for Jesus
• That God would removed blinders off the eyes of unbelievers around us
• God has raised up an appointed time (kairos) where people in our nation are hungry for Jesus. Pray that our churches boldly make the most of this opportunity
• That the church would respond to social crises and natural disasters with boldness so many people can meet Jesus
• Pray specifically for our 16-25 year olds that God would propel them into a lifestyle of radical evangelism. Pray for that they would be "burning and shining lamps" (John 5:35).
• For signs and wonders to accompany the preaching of the Gospel
• Radical Church planting amongst the totally unreached
I want to invite you to jump in with me during this time of prayer and fasting. I believe that God has something for our church specifically, and the Antioch movement as a whole, that He wants to impart as we intentionally set our gaze on Him.
We have a great resource (see below) that we are including which will be especially helpful if you choose to fast. Additionally, I want to encourage you to ask God in the next few days the following questions: “What would You have me fast from?” and “What would You have me fast for?” He may have you fast from solid food, meats and sweets (only eat fruit and vegetables), media, or anything else that might be a sacrifice for you. Regarding what to fast for, you may desire personal breakthrough in your own life, your relationship with God, or for challenging circumstances, or to just ask God to renew a promise that He has spoken over your life. Choosing ahead of time what to fast from and for will give you vision and expectancy for your time and will encourage you along the way.
I know that this time will be unifying for our church! I can't wait to hear the testimonies of what God does in and through us during these three days. In order to encourage unity during these days, we are going to be gathering during the following times to worship and pray:
Monday and Tuesday from 12:00-1:00pm at church offices (3613 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge 70808)
Wednesday from 7:00-8:30pm at Christ Covenant Church (1700 Lee Drive, Baton Rouge 70808)
I hope you will join us for these times! They're sure to be powerful.